Saturday, June 27, 2009

McKee Graduation - June 26, 2009


My 2nd graduation as principal on June 26, 2009 at the St. George Theater, and I just enjoy every part of the ceremony. I particularly relish the part where I say the words from the phrase that confers the candidates as graduates. The seniors have just finished singing the alma mater and senior song. Mr. Velija, our Assistant Principal of Organization, says the ephebic oath.

Next, they hear the words, "..you are now graduates..." and the students lose it. Their eyes shine, their heads shake, their hands are clapping, their smiles broaden even further in recognizing that this is the moment when they are young adults who are moving away from childhood and adolescence. There is a tidal wave of positive, electric energy that soars into the rafters and of course the mortarboards fly into the air to punctuate the emotion.

I love the energy.

No comments:

Apture Multimedia