Saturday, June 25, 2011

McKee 2011 Graduation

It was an easy, breezy, cheery graduation ceremony on Friday, June 24, 2011.
Looking at a sea of hunter green and gold was heartwarming. I must tell you that as a principal, seeing a class that saw me grow in role as a leader over the past four years was a celebratory experience. This class held students who were responsible for division championships in girl's basketball, borough wide championship in boy's basketball, and a city wide championship in the PSAL Cup for football. It also held a formidable swimmer, and pioneering students who helped the school forge relationships with new business partners because of their talent, discipline and courtesy in the workplace. On the academic front there were more full scholarships awarded to students. This reflection is probably the information I should have added to my speech at the Friday morning graduation ceremony, but my head was so full of glad tidings and emotion, that I just did not want to dissolve into a mushy ball of tears. I strongly feel such an occasion is never about my emotions but about what are the next steps that students can help learn and grow. The primary focus is to have their parents, caregivers and guardians beam at them with pride as they walk down the aisle in green and gold.

There is so much more that can, should, and will be done to help students prepare for college and career post secondary experiences. I always have a goal for what I will personally learn how to do over the summer. This year it will be to learn Naviance so that all of the students can state and track their college and professional goals. I will push for every grade to get on board. That's a non-negotiable.

Next is Snapgrades. It is easy and user-friendly. Our students, parents and caregivers must be partners in monitoring and being accountable for academic progress. That's a non-negotiable.

Internships are powerful. Right from the jump there will be an even more concerted push to look for opportunities in which students are guided to expand and deepen their proficiency in their vocational selection.

Alright. Time to rest, resuscitate, and revive. Time to further my education, and gather my strength so that I can come roaring back to life on August 29th, 2011.

No comments:

Apture Multimedia