Tuesday, August 16, 2011

McKee 5 at TFI Presentation in the Situation Room

I can not begin to tell you how proud I was to see the young men of McKee participate in the presentation on the 2nd floor in the Situation Room of the JP Morgan Building on 47th Street and Park Avenue. They are (from left to right) Tracey Cooper Jr., Reggie Fredericks, Kin Chung Choo, Kenneth Alphonso, and Samuel Conteh

Thirty young men participated in the summer program. The McKee 5 all participated and gained invaluable life lessons about team work, perseverance, resilience, focus, and problem solving skills. I was there with my iPad and gave each student a huge hug. I also managed to snap a picture and (hold your hats) actually take a few clips using iMovie which I downloaded literally an hour before attending the event. I will be "editing" my first iMovie over the next few days.

As the students introduced themselves and launched into their speeches, their very demeanor, pitch and modulation of tone reflected such growth, resoluteness and maturity that my eyes welled with tears. Talk about making a principal's week. Hat's off to Ms. Kim Davis (Head of the TFI Program), Ms. Twinkle Morgan (coordinator of the TFI 2017 cohort), and the JP Morgan Foundation.

By the way - The mayor is getting huge corporations like JP Morgan to contribute to the Young Men's Initiative. JP Morgan contributed to the mayor's initiative. TFI is strictly a JP Morgan program.

As one executive mentioned, "imagine if 30 companies adopted 30 young men and instituted this type of initiative. That's 900 young men, leaders." I added, "It's a culture change."

No comments:

Apture Multimedia