Saturday, February 11, 2012

Skills USA Citywide Competition - Saturday morning

It's 4 a.m. Saturday morning - February 11th, 2012. I am sure there are other people who are snug in their beds. Quickly it becomes 5:15 AM and I am heading towards Starbucks to get a vente skim latte with two equal before heading off to school to greet the students who are scheduled to take the bus from McKee to Thomas Edison High School, which is located in Queens.


That's right - 34 students showed up, in the snow, looking marvelous. Armed with my iPad, I told the Skills USA members to line up so that I could take a picture. I was mainly mumbling because I have trouble articulating without drinking coffee in the morning. The students were bright eyed and unaffected by the weather - ready to take on formidable competition in the first citywide Skills USA event in over 40 years in New York City.

Words can not begin to express my gratitude to the parents/guardians and caregivers who were outside McKee, in their cars, while I dashed in at 6:15 a.m. to open up the auditorium entrance. Words can not begin to express my gratitude to the Skills USA advisers: Mr. Reynoso and Mr. Sarno. Additionally, I want to thank Mr. Reynoso's wife (who also chaperoned), and a wonderful paraprofessional, Mr. DeSilva.

No comments:

Apture Multimedia