Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Visit by Joshua Lindeman - Local 1 Plumber Apprentice

It was PSAT Day today, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, and Joshua Lindeman, a 2013 graduate visited the school. I am engaged in the process of having faculty, administration and staff respond to one or more of the following prompts:

  • a. Share a habit or activity that made you successful in high school so that you were able to go to college/post-secondary institution. How did that habit or activity help.
  • b.Share a turning point that helped you decide to go to college/post-secondary institution.
  • c. Share a college/post-secondary institution success story.

 It is amazing how students grow in the span of the year. Here's his picture:
I think the young man grew an extra foot. Here's his reflection in response to the prompts on post-secondary success: 
Joshua Lindeman
Local 1 Plumber

What habit made me successful in high school? I just had good friends. They pushed me to do better and to get higher grades. We had a competition to see who could get the highest grade on a test. It is just not my personality to hang out with people who do not have a plan for their life. I always surround myself with people who want to succeed.
I am in Year 1 of the Construction Skills 2000 apprenticeship program.  It involves a great deal of blueprint reading. There are many opportunities in the construction industry to become a drafter to create the plans for the hanging of pipes, waste and vent lines.
I work on Tower 3 in the World Trade Center. We are currently on the 8th floor and Tower 3 is 82 stories high. My boss, my foreman, and journeyman, do not compliment often, but when they do, it resonates. When the time comes for them to downsize, for example they had 3 apprentices and they decided to keep only one and I am the one that they keep, one’s self-esteem goes through the roof.

No comments:

Apture Multimedia