Friday, May 15, 2015

Jessica Story stopped by McKee High School on Thursday, May 14, 2015.

Jessica Story stopped by McKee High School on Thursday, May 14, 2015. Check out her post-secondary success story.
Jessica Story
Accountant / Entrepreneur / Community Activist
McKee ‘08
Berkeley College, BA 2013

A turning point for me at McKee was when I ran into some issues with a former art teacher that jeopardized my high school graduation. Due to my determination, I was able to negotiate doing “art boot camp.” The overall lesson is that regardless of the down falls one may encounter in life, stay determined and focused and a person will experience success.

Two weeks after my high school graduation, I started the summer session at Berkeley College. I had to pay for college. I had to get loans. I had to work two jobs. It was difficult working two jobs and going to college but I found a balance and was able to maintain a personal life.

As in any endeavor, one encounters bumps in the road. One of the college’s policies is that all professors have to submit their attendance to the Academics Department. One professor did not. Because of that mistake, I was withdrawn from school and “I was not having that," as Ms. Henry knows. I went to the chairperson of the department and he let me know that the professor was new and did not know the protocols. The chairperson accompanied me to a meeting with the Dean of the Academics Department. Because I was able to articulate and advocate for myself, I was readmitted to Berkeley College.

I am a workaholic. Right now I have three jobs, a tax business and a non-profit organization. I just believe that I have great goals and achievements that I need to accomplish. I believe in working hard to get what you want in order to succeed. Nothing is going to be handed to you. Like Nike – Just do it.

No comments:

Apture Multimedia