Thursday, December 17, 2015

Maliyah Green, Class of 2015, Now at Spellman College




Maliyah Greene, McKee Class of 2015, stopped by to visit on Thursday, December 17, 2015. Check out her post-secondary success experiences:
Maliyah Greene
McKee 2015
Spelman College, BA

Cornell notes is the habit that helped me a great deal in high school and continues to help me in the transition into college. I did not realize the importance of knowing how to do Cornell Notes were until I attended my first college courses and study for the quizzes and finals. Spelman has a group of students who have experienced AVID when they were in high school. We had a mixer between Spelman and Morehouse organized and for students who had been exposed to AVID. We discussed how to do outreach so that AVID permeates throughout the AUC which is Morehouse, Spelman and Clark Atlanta Colleges.

I plan to do the Dual Degree Engineering program. I am majoring in Computer Science and trying to minor in a language like Spanish. I will do that for 3 years and I will then go to either Georgia Tech or USC for 2 years to get the degree for computer engineering.

I felt it was important for me to leave Staten Island for my post secondary experience. I wanted to be independent. I thought I would miss home. I enjoy the responsibility of living away from home. It also helped me put myself out there and make sure that I conversed with professors and peers.

My post-secondary success story is that I made the dean’s list. This means I made all A’s in all of my courses. Making the dean's list involves many hours of studying and late nights in the library. I was in the library until 4 or 5 in the morning, reviewing my notes, my CORNELL NOTES, which were so important to study during finals week.

My advice to seniors is that work as hard as you can in high school. Put your priorities in order. Take your work seriously. It is not a game. Do not procrastinate. There are students from across the world, that are smarter and from different socio-economic backgrounds. Realize and accept it is easier for some people who have been exposed to a great many advantages than for others. My solution: I just push myself to work harder in order to stand out from everyone else. That’s life after high school.

No comments:

Apture Multimedia